Food Allergies

 The Pine School is an “allergy aware” school. All of our faculty and staff have been trained in the proper use of administering an EPI PEN and have learned the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction.

Please feel free to come to the clinic and talk with one of the nurses in regards to your concerns and further understand how we make your child's classroom a safe learning environment.

Below are a few suggestions from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.


Become Informed and Educated

First, be well versed on your child's food allergy

As the parent of a child with food allergy, it is critical that you know the following:

  • The foods he or she must avoid
  • The signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction
  • The ways your child might describe an allergic reaction
  • The role of epinephrine in treatment
  • The correct way to use an epinephrine auto-injectable device, if one has been prescribed.

The best way to learn this information is to talk with a board certified allergist. You can easily locate an allergist near you through the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) website, www.aaaai.org.

Second, learn how schools generally manage students with food allergy.

Reading Anaphylaxis in Schools and other child-care settings, a position statement from AAAAI, is a helpful initial step.

Third, find out as much as you can about your school's approach to food allergy management.

Because food allergy has become such an emerging health issue, especially among children, many schools have already adopted and implemented a food allergy policy.

Finally, understand that the individual needs of students with food allergy may differ according to age.

Some of the management strategies in this document may be more appropriate in the Lower School as opposed to the Upper School, when students become more independent.